HERE IS THE LATEST INFORMATION ON THE BLACK RIVER FALLS FIRE IN MARQUETTE FROM THE MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES:
– Location: 7 miles SW of the city of Ishpeming
– The area is rural with homes scattered through the area and in several small subdivisions
– There are no known injuries or deaths
– 33 structures lost, many more saved
– No official fire cause determination has yet been made.
– Size: 824 acres
– All road closure and evacuation orders have been lifted from all locations on the fire, however non-residents are encouraged to avoid the area to minimize congestion and allow residents the ability to move freely and check for property damage.
– The weather has cooperated to provide .11″ of rain, cooler temperatures, slower winds, and higher humidities, making good fire progress possible.
– The fire is now estimated at 75% contained.
INFORMATION FOR RESIDENTS AND FAMILIES:
– The Marquette County Humane Society advises that anyone finding or losing a pet or experiencing a need for sheltering an animal to please call the animal shelter at 475-6661 If you have an animal related emergency please call central dispatch at 475-9912.
– The American Red Cross will be conducting damage assessments on Friday, May 22, to determine additional assistance the may be possible through the Red Cross. If your home sustained major damage or was destroyed in the fire, please call the Red Cross office as soon as possible between 9am and 5pm on Friday, May 22. You may also leave a message during the evenings through the Memorial Day weekend at 906-249-9665, or 906-361-4090.
– Three other organizations are offering assistance to those impacted by the fire. Name and contact information are provided for all three:
– Salvation Army – 906-486-8121
– Pigs and Heat c/o Marquette Police Department – 906-228-0400
– St Vincent DePaul Society – 906-226-3840
– There have been requests for information about where donations may be sent to aid those whose homes have been impacted by the fire. Contact information is provided for two organizations accepting donations to provide aid:
– Salvation Army, Ishpeming (Liz Nevela) – 906-486-8121
– PC-Medic – 906-486-9911
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to Great Lakes Radio Stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, WQXO, and WPIQ