Wildfires are currently burning in both Marquette and Baraga Counties this morning. The Fire in Baraga County known as the Pinery Lake Fire is an estimated 400 to 600 acres in size and is 20 to 30 percent contained.
The Black River Falls fire in Marquette County started shortly before 5pm on Monday in heavy jack pine and moved into lower, wetter types of foliage. The cause of the blazes are unknown. As of 3am, the Black River Falls Fire is 65 percent contained.
The DNR reports:
- Location: 7 miles SW of Ishpeming
- Size: 777 acres
- The area is rural with homes scattered through the area and in several small subdivisions.
- An estimated 33 structures have been consumed by the fire.
- There are no known injuries or deaths due to the fire.
- All homes along County Road 581 between County Road CS and County Road PG have been evacuated.
- Homes and subdivisions along County Road 581 between Stoneville Road and County Road PG were later evacuated as well.
- All intersecting county roads between County Road CS and Stoneville Road are closed.
- The public is asked to continue to stay out of the area while personnel are working on the fire.
- The Red Cross is keeping a list of contact information for all evacuees at Westwood High School or by phone at 906-361-4090
Due to the use of Westwood High School as an evacuation center, the NICE Community Schools are closed today.
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to Great Lakes Radio Stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, WQXO, and WPIQ